Howie Hawkins and his campaign team visited Susquehanna County in Pennsylvania on October 10, 2014. We saw firsthand the negative impacts of fracking operations on people's water, on property values, on the landscape. Fracking cannot be done safely (see documents below) - the technology is flawed and the industry denies being responsible for water contamination and continues to fracking.
Governor Cuomo has proven that he cannot be trusted to make a sound policy decision on fracking. A recent report reveals that members of the Cuomo Administration tampered with a U.S. Geological Survey study showing the problems and threats of fracking to New Yorkers.
Beginning October 15, Howie is going on a Fracking Truth Telling Tour through New York. Stand with Howie for a fracking ban and for the renewable energy future we know is possible!
Wed. 10/15 10am Cooperstown - Lake Front Park - 1 Pioneer Street Cooperstown, NY 13326
Wed. 10/15 12pm Oneonta - Green Earth Health Market - 4 Market Street, Oneonta, NY 13820
Wed. 10/15 4:30 pm Ithaca - Press Bay Alley 118 W. Green Street Ithaca, NY 14850
Thurs. 10/16 3:30 Rochester, RIT - RIT Campus, Student Alumni Union, Room 1829,
Fri. 10/17 11am Buffalo Location TBA
Check back for more stops! If you want to plan an event for your city or town, contact Nikeeta Slade at firstname.lastname@example.org
Be the Media! Letters to the Editor Talking points:
- Governor Andrew Cuomo has proven that he cannot be trusted to make a sound policy decision on fracking. A recent report reveals that members of the Cuomo Administration tampered with a U.S. Geological Survey study showing the problems and threats of fracking to New Yorkers. Cuomo has also stated that he will delay any decision on fracking until after the election.
- It is clear that Governor Cuomo is going to base any fracking decision on politics, not science, contrary to what he indicated earlier.
- Fracking cannot be done safely. No regulations can prevent the cement in well casings from cracking and opening pathways for contamination. 5% of wells casings fail immediately, and more than 50% within 5 years.
- Howie Hawkins is the only anti-fracking candidate in this race. He called for a ban on fracking when he ran for governor in 2010. He traveled to Pennsylvania to see for himself the devastating effects that it has on the environment, health and property values.
- The only way to win a ban on fracking in New York state is to vote for Howie Hawkins for governor on November 4th.
More reading about fracking:
Ingraffea, A., Wells, M., Santoro, R., & Shonkoff, S. Assessment and risk analysis of casing and cement impairment in oil and gas wells in Pennsylvania, 2000–2012. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved July 4, 2014, fromhttp://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/06/25/1323422111.abstract
Associated Press story on Dr. Ingraffea's research: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fracking-study-finds-newer-gas-wells-leak-more
Documents showing fracking impacts in Susquehanna County